Issue 16 of Diabolique Magazine May/Jume 2013, which I will happily give it away, after this project is done.The 4th article in the issue, Victor Frankenstein Creator and Monster: The Many Lives of Frankenstein by Bruce G. Hallenbeck, Introduction by Scott Feinblatt. This is a fine well researched piece on the character Victor Frankenstein from page to screen. There is so much packed into this finely written article that I will just barely glance it with the three films I have chosen to review.
This choice of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was because I had not seen it since it came out in 1994 and frankly did not remember it. On IMDB it holds a rating of 6.3 which is a bit above average for that ranking system. Considering the cast you would think that it would have made more of an impression but no almost no memory of it. Directed by Kenneth Branagh and screenplay written by Steph Lady and Frank Darabont, with stars Branagh as Victor Frankenstein, Robert DeNiro as the Monster, Helen Bonham Carter as Elizabeth, Ian Holm as Victor's father, John Cleese as Professor Waldman the cast is fine for the time.
Kenneth Branagh still riding the wave of his dual Oscar wins five years before (best actor and director) for Henry V had to juice to again direct and act the lead in this film. Now I am not sure this film could ever live up to his establishing film so we won't make comparisons but he took on the challenge of getting DeNiro still in the height of his superstardom. I think that is why they chose a monster look that included giant scars across his face, maybe they thought he was just too recognizable so they made a monster that looked like it took three faces to be sown into one. He also tapped Bonan Carter and up and comer at the time having just two years before had great success in the acclaimed Howard's End. So with this collection of stars we have a version of Frankenstein that should redefine the story. Unfortunately I am sure it does not. The script in it's first half lacks any kind of subtext and is directed so on the nose from Victor's Mother's death where he decides to pursue ending death to the entirely shirtless Branagh 15 minute montage of creating the Monster it is a fever dream pitched ridiculousness that has to be seen. I personally laughed at the choice to do it this way. Then when the naked Monster emerges and he and shirtless Victor have a slime wrestling session, that leads to the damaging the Monster brain, well I was laughing out loud at it. Only after the monster was damage does Frankenstein suddenly and for good denounces the his ideas, so it it had not been damaged would he have continued on? The stark change does nothing to deepen our understanding.The film plays out more with the Monster's journey from hated outcast to vengful pursuer of Frankenstein. This monster is not a fire fearing fiend like in the classics it is intellegent enough to understand it's making and builds a healthy hate for his creator. Victor moves on from his "mistake" by planning his wedding to step sister Elizabeth but the Montser is coming. The frantic pacing at points in this film are to thrill but don't really accomplish the effect, instead what could be moments of dread are transformed into choas with swelling music and and matter of fact displays that move the plot of the demise of the Frankenstein family forward but leave the viewer with a "then this happened, and then this happened." feeling. The story you think would colminate in Frankenstein and the Monster in a final showdown at this point but no. The Monster wants a companion and so we move into Bride of Frankenstein territory and the now repentant Victor is forced to create again this time with a shirt on. When he goes back to Elizabeth instead of doing what the Monster desires the monster takes tall from Victor in what seems like a add on few scenes to bring the passion of creating (reanimating) life only to heal his broken heart. So many frantic loud musical montages for the creation parts, it is a bit overwhelming. Bookended with scenes of trapped ship in the artic the film pulls the final punch when Victor dies after telling his story.
I am sure I did not like the movie making of this version of the classic story. Too over directed and full of hubris by Branagh. So good luck if you choose to watch it.
My Letterboxd.com handle is @Hovey1127, when I am done with the Issue of the magazine I will offer it up and we can work out the details of me getting it to you. I am not really looking for money just someone who also would love to read it. If no one wants it well it will probably end up on a magazine rack at the library or something.
Chatting with me is difficult, I have stopped my social media account years ago because time… it’s ticking at my age and I would rather spend it doing other things like this for example. Or chatting with my friends at the Zombiegrrlz.com podcasts on their discord. I am a fan of the podcasts they publish The More Deadly Podcast and the Zombiegrrlz podcast and as a Patron for very little $ I get access to the discord. So if you want to good horror content and a great horror community check them out.You can also find me on the Here's Johnny Podcast and Faculty of Horror Podcast discords. Look them up join my online friends for some good conversations.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Blog email address: movies@edhovey.com