Translate This Page!

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Ghost of Frankenstein (1944)

  Issue 16 of Diabolique Magazine May/Jume 2013, which I will happily give it away, after this project is done.The 4th article in the issue, Victor Frankenstein Creator and Monster: The Many Lives of Frankenstein by Bruce G. Hallenbeck, Introduction by Scott Feinblatt. This is a fine well researched piece on the character Victor Frankenstein from page to screen. There is so much packed into this finely written article that I will just barely glance it with the three films I have chosen to review. 

Well this is quite the film it starts I think at the end of Bride of Frankenstein and the Monster sank into a sulfer pit and only Igor survived, or so it seems. When the still angry villagers blow up the Frankenstein castle it releases the Monster (Lon Chaney Jr.) from it's grave. Chaney suffered a severe allergic reaction to the monster makeup applied by Jack Pierce and missed several days of shooting. -wikipedia. Igor (Bela Lugosi) who was hiding in the castle and the monster get away and make there way to the second son of  on the doctor. This monster is less primitive and a bit more kind at times. He befriends a little girl Chloestine (Janet Ann Gallow) and then the film become this wierd mix of angry villagers, mad scientists and the manipulative Igor. Gallow spoke about working with Chaney in 2005, stating that she spent much time with Chaney, "riding his legs, his knees, sitting on his lap. He was nice, gentle with me and easy to work with - better than anyone else!"- wikipedia. Igor attempting to get his brain inserted into the Monster's head. Slightly over acted by Lugosi is the manipulative center of the film who succeeds in getting what he wants and the power that comes with it. Only to become trapped and perish in a fire at the end of the film.
  This film is a bit of a mess, the foruth in a series if we are talking about the franchise from Universal Studios. Missing Boris Karloff as the monster seems like a reaction I should have. Chaney Jr. seemed older but still managed to stir empathy for the monster.

So if you are interested in a magazine with this content, read updates here soresportmovies.blogspot.com, or on Letterboxd.com to learn how my magazine giveaway is going but follow me on Letterboxd if you want to read my movie reviews and comment on the films. I still have a mail connected to my blog movies@edhovey.com where you can write me or comment on blog entries.

My Letterboxd.com handle is @Hovey1127, when I am done with the Issue of the magazine I will offer it up and we can work out the details of me getting it to you. I am not really looking for money just someone who also would love to read it. If no one wants it well it will probably end up on a magazine rack at the library or something.

Chatting with me is difficult, I have stopped my social media account years ago because time… it’s ticking at my age and I would rather spend it doing other things like this for example. Or chatting with my friends at the Zombiegrrlz.com podcasts on their discord. I am a fan of the podcasts they publish The More Deadly Podcast and the Zombiegrrlz podcast and as a Patron for very little $ I get access to the discord. So if you want to good horror content and a great horror community check them out. You can also find me on the Here's Johnny Podcast and  Faculty of Horror Podcast discords. Look them up join my online friends for some good conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog email address: movies@edhovey.com