I love The House by the Cemetery and it seem silly to try to explain why. This is a film that make just enough sense to pass as a plotted story, a haunted house film but not in the traditional sense. It is an artistic rambling through a field of ideas, never quite picking a path. Certainly there are things you can point to the cinematography by Sergio Salvati is really epic for a film primary filmed in a house interior and the score by Walter Rizzati carries a lot of the water for mood in this film. In fact when the film came out critics seized upon the score as a weakness saying the story should have done more of the work. What ever others think though is not going to influence me. This is a fine film in my collection, I have three different versions the one I watched today is the special presentation by Blue Underground which captures really well prints and extras as well as the soundtrack on CD.
The House by the Cemetery is a wonderful piece of art that has some wonderfully executed scenes and kills. The story is loose to say the least but it the filming and music still elevate it beyond what it is. I will probably revisit it many more times.
Hey here is something you could do in 1981 that you can't do anymore? Leave you child unattended in a car. (As seen in the early scenes of this film.)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Blog email address: movies@edhovey.com